Sunday, July 12, 2009

Turkey Vultures

I really wanted to share this experience with all of you. About three weeks ago I had my two sister-n-laws visiting. We all enjoy exercising and healthy eating. Well most of the time anyway. So I was so excited when we woke up and the three of us decided to go for a walk. Since moving here I have not gone walking by myself. I would walk everyday, I loved it. I now go bicycling quite a bit, with my husband. I am sure people who have lived here, in Florida all their lives, just do whatever activities they want without thinking of the critters or the heat.

Me, however have seen one too many snakes in my own yard just to go out and go walking. I saw a snake a couple of months ago, and yes it was a black one, still I jumped on the hood of my car. My husband was laughing, and telling me to get off before I dent the hood. I did not care in the least. I waited for the snake to go away before I came off the hood. No, I did not end up denting the hood, however not really caring if I did or not.

Anyway, we went on our walk. I was thrilled. Being outside and just walking. We walked about three miles each way. On the way back we were hot and starting to wilt. Of course during June it is extremely hot and humid here. So the sweat is pouring off all of us. We are on the last stretch I see my block. I am excited I turn around my one sister-n-law is looking up. I look up to see what has her so enthralled. Well there are about thirty vultures. I am coming up with all kinds of excuses as to why it looks as if the birds are actually following us. Dead carcasses for one, looking for food. I actually ran out of excuses. Now they are literally over our heads and I am getting a little nervous too. So I turn to my other sister-n-law who lives north of Orlando and say "Help me out here" She starts laughing and says " I have nothing for ya"

It looks like they are getting lower and all three of us are wondering if we will become road kill. Finally they veer off to the left and are distant dots along the sky. We are dragging our feet up the driveway. I enjoyed the walk, laughter and the company. Have not been walking since. That is something I miss when I lived in NY. Just walking out my front door with out looking where I am walking.

The past few days, however my windows are not completely fogged from the humidity. It is still in the nineties everyday a little less in the humidity. Woo hoo I am excited. I can see out of my windows in the morning. These are just some of the things I wish I knew about before moving to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment